Thursday, September 1, 2016

Chocolate Dipped Stuffed Dates (vegan "Snickers")


Follow me for more great vegan recipes & ideas: Facebook   Pinterest   Twitter   Twitter

This is an idea I have seen floating around a few places, so I wanted to try it at home. My boss was sweet enough to give me a large container of Madjool Dates, so it seemed like a great time to test the idea out on my kids. 

This is back to school week here, so I am actively trying out new lunchbox ideas and treats for my teens. So far, the Gardein Crispy chicken wraps have been the winner for sandwich idea. This little treat won desert, hands down yesterday. These "vegan Snickers bites" were simple enough to make the night before and refrigerate until morning. They held up well in the lunch boxes and the kids shared with friends, who also approved ( always a plus for them as teenagers). 

** If you have a peanut allergy, these can be made substituting any other nut and nut butter, or ( in case of  nut allergy, use a tahini paste and seed mixture (maybe pumpkin?)**


Recipe:

1/2 cup Vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips ( I used Enjoy Life)
12 Madjool dates, pitted and peeled (peeling is not necessary, but makes the candy smoother)
peanut butter
peanuts

Method: 

1. Using a double boiler, gently heat chocolate chips over low heat until smooth. ( If you do not have a double boiler, boil water in a small pan and heat chocolate chips in a small bowl placed over the pan to avoid direct heat on the chocolate). 

2. While chocolate melts, stuff your dates. Place a layer of peanuts in your dates. Top peanuts with peanut butter to fill dates.

3. Once chocolate is smooth, remove from heat.

4. Roll dates in warm chocolate quickly to coat ( Careful not to melt peanut butter)

5. Place dates on a plate covered in parchment paper.

6. Refrigerate dates for at least an hour to allow chocolate to set. ( I let them set overnight and they held up well in my kids lunchboxes).

Makes a dozen "Snickers" bites.


No comments:

Post a Comment